Project PIRENE IV.
The project PIRENE IV is the continuation of projects PIRENE I, II and III approved under the INTERREG II B and III B SUDOE. This is an initiative taken by the Spanish regions, France and Portugal, to carry out the necessary and indispensable previous studies, to implement a effectively rail network across the Southwest Europe. The objective is designing other alternative ways to contribute to greater efficiency of transport systems, better integration of infrastructure networks (including TEN-T) or a clearer identification of the interconnection requirements of different territories SUDOE.
The PIRENE IV’s aim is improvement of existing infrastructure in the Southwest Europe and takes advantage of new rail lines planned for the passengers and freight transport. An important part of studies carried out, analyze the feasibility and the characteristics of a future link by a Trans Pyrenees tunnel capable of solving the problems of traffic saturation from a perspective of modal split and environmental respect.
- • Knowing the environmental impact of conducting low-altitude Trans tunnel by the central Pyrenees have on the local ecosystem.
- • Finding a more efficient modal split in favor of the railway to become more environmentally friendly reducing greenhouse gas emissions by lowering the density of freight transport by road.
- • Analyze the socioeconomic development that the new infrastructure would bring to the affected regions.
- • Facilitating socio-economic actor’s consensus about the need and opportunity for the creation of new infrastructures to benefit all regions of the Southwest of Europe.
- • Planning an efficient transport system that contribute to regional balance, especially in the peripheral that currently Keep away from the main central communications axis.
- • Developing the European transport policy thought the measures adopted in the White Paper for Transport, studying the connection between the maritime transport infrastructure optimizing the intermodality and the existing resources.
LA FUNDACIÓN TRANSPIRENAICA EN PIRENE IV.
The Foundation participated in the management and coordination of the Project Pirene IV, supporting the leader y carrying out the communications activities. In the following phase, in the Project Pirene III the Foundation was direct partner, coordinating the communication with Eurosud Transport.
Since June 2009, following the official confirmation, the Foundation is the lead partner of the project Pirene IV, ensuring through their daily a link between all the partners.
As lead partner is responsible for technical coordination, project management and financial ensuring, among others, the following tasks:
- • Planning and monitoring the technical progress of each group task
- • Ensuring an availability accounting for the project
- • Collecting the expenditures report of every partner.
- • Fundación Transpirenaica (ES)
- • Gobierno de Aragón – Departamento de Obras Públicas, Urbanismo y Transportes (ES)
- • Eurosud Transport Atlantique-Mediterranée (FR)
- • Région Midi-Pyrénées- Direction des Infrastructures et des Transports – (FR)
- • Direction régionale de l’environnement, de l’aménagement et du logement d’Aquitaine (FR)
- • Direction régionale de l’environnement, de l’aménagement et du logement Midi- Pyrénées (FR)
- • RFF - Réseau ferré de France - Région Midi-Pyrénées (FR)
- • Comissão de Coordenação e Desenvolvimento Regional do Alentejo (PT)
- • FEPORTS - Instituto Portuario de Estudios y Cooperación de la Comunidad Valenciana (ES)
- • Consejería de Ordenación del Territorio y Vivienda - Junta de Comunidades de Castilla-La Mancha (ES)
- • APPA - Agencia Pública Puertos de Andalucía (ES)
- • Ministère de l’Ecologie, de l’Energie, du Développement Durable et de l’Aménagement du Territoire. MEEDDAT (FR)
- • Conseil Régional du Limousin (FR)
- • Agence Régionale de Développement (FR)
- • Junta de Extremadura (ES)
- • Conseil Régional d’Aquitaine (FR)
Duration: 46 Months
Starting date: 01/04/2008
Ending date: 31/12/2011
Total Budget (en €): EUR 4.275.030,67
FEDER Grant: EUR 3.206.273,00